Discombobulation...Anyone else feeling this right now?! I have always loved this word, but not the feeling of it. Kind of like everything has been turned on its head and not knowing which way is up!
How do you minimise this when things feel out of your control?
For a start - notice what you can control - your thoughts and your actions. For example, the amount of time you spend on social media and watching the news. While we all want to stay up to date, the media and social media can really fuel up our 'lizard brain' - our fear brain. This part of our brain feeds on fear like fuel to a fire. This raises cortisol levels (our stress hormones), anxiety and feeling out of control. It also gets us stuck in our heads. And before you know it you are feeling scattered and overwhelmed.
So what can you do instead?
1. Limit your time on social media to a certain time or amount of time a day.
2. Find productive and positive things to do particularly if you have a lot of time to yourself at the moment. Is there something you have always wanted to learn but never had time for? You can learn pretty much anything on YouTube these days. For free! Have you always wanted to learn a language? Learn how to paint or draw? Dance? Do yoga? Meditate? Make or repair something? Play the guitar? Is there a new work skill you need to develop or steps you want to take to develop your own business. You can learn all of these things online. What would you love to know more about or research?
3. Take the time to journal and write out the thoughts and fears going through your mind. Thoughts are easier to manage and make sense of when they are out of your head and on paper.
4. Phone and check on friends or relatives and see how they are going. Focusing on the well-being of others is a great way to get out of the cycle of focusing on your own worries and concerns.
5. Get outside! This is so important right now. With all the messages about isolating ourselves some are becoming more fearful of even going outside.And you don't need to be around others to do this. Go for a walk. Go outside and stand in the sun (in moderation). Do some gardening. Whatever makes you feel like you have that connection with nature and the outside world.
Now it's your turn - what other things can you think of? Be creative. You know yourself better than anyone so only you can work out what works best for you. Find what works for you and keep doing it.
And remember - be kind to yourself. You are doing the best you can.
Counsellor / Coach
If you found this helpful please consider passing it on to someone else who may benefit.
If you have any questions please contact me on 0405 990 765 or email me at email@example.com. If you are ready to make some positive changes in your life take the next step and book in for a session today.
Please note: Although face to face appointments are currently being reduced in line with current Australian public health requirements, a reminder that Connexions Counselling is an established online counselling provider. Please contact me if you would like to discuss an online appointment. Online appointments are provided via an online video program provider called Zoom. Once an appointment time is confirmed between us I will send you a link by email which you then click on at the start of the appointment time. This takes you straight to the video link. Super easy!